Your bank wherever you go
Mobile Deposit FAQs
What is mobile deposit?
Mobile deposit is a safe and secure way to make a deposit to your MetaBank personal checking or money market account from your mobile phone or tablet. It allows you to deposit your paper check through the MetaBank mobile app. You can access and utilize mobile deposit with an internet connection anywhere in the United States.
Who is eligible to use mobile deposit?
Any MetaBank online personal banking customer who has downloaded the MetaBank mobile app and has a qualified checking or money market account is eligible to use mobile deposit. New customers opening a checking or money market account will see mobile deposit as a feature when they download the mobile app. A customer’s transaction activity and how he or she handles his or her account will be reviewed periodically to ensure the customer remains qualified. If a customer does not qualify, the mobile deposit feature will not be available.
Are there any fees to use mobile deposit?
For personal customers, there are no additional fees for using mobile deposit. It is included as part of your mobile banking app. We recommend you check with your service provider for any wireless carrier fees. Consult your account agreement for fees related to your account.
What types of accounts are eligible for mobile deposit?
Currently, any personal checking account or money market account is eligible for mobile deposit. At this time, savings accounts cannot receive mobile deposits.
How do I access the mobile deposit feature?
Mobile deposit is a feature included in our mobile banking app. Download the app from Google PlayTM or the App StoreSM. Within the mobile banking app, click the "Deposits" tab to access mobile deposit. At this time, mobile deposit is only available for Android and Apple devices.
Is mobile deposit secure?
Yes, mobile deposit is secure. We take your financial security seriously. Some of the security features of the MetaBank mobile app include:
- Each mobile session requires username, password and phone-specific identification. You may be prompted to answer a security question if your device and credentials are not recognized.
- Only the data needed to process the check is transmitted.
- Accounts are identified by nickname, and the account numbers are masked.
- No information related to account number, balance or transactions is shared or stored on your mobile device.
How do I use mobile deposit?
- Sign/endorse the back of the check to be deposited with “For Mobile Deposit Only” and the last four digits of your account number, and then sign your name as it appears on the front of the check.
- Log into mobile banking and select the “Deposits” tab. Select “New Deposit.”
- Select the deposit account, and enter the dollar amount of the check. Then select “Continue.”
- Take a picture of the front of the check. The check image must be distinct and all four corners visible.
- If the photo is unclear, select “Retake.” If the photo is clear, select “Use Photo.”
- Take a picture of the back of the check. Ensure the check is endorsed. The image must be distinct and all four corners visible. Make sure the endorsement is visible on the left side of the check.
- If the image is unclear, select “Retake.” If the image is clear, select “Use Photo.”
- Confirm the details of the deposit and select “Yes.”
- If there are issues with the deposit, a failure message will display. Resolve the error, and retake both images.
- If an error cannot be resolved, the check may be presented at a MetaBank location.
- If the deposit is successfully submitted, the screen will display “Deposit Pending.”
- All mobile deposits will be reviewed by MetaBank throughout the day with a final cut-off for current business day’s deposit at 4:30 p.m., C.S.T.
- If the deposit is approved after review by the bank, the status of the deposit will change from “Pending” to “Accepted.” The deposit will be credited to your account during overnight processing.
- If the deposit is declined after review by the bank, the status of the deposit will change to “Rejected.” In addition, you will be notified that the deposit has been rejected and why it was not able to be deposited.
- You should always verify the next business day that your deposit has been credited to your account.
- If you have questions, please call 1.866.559.5037 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Do I have to agree to the terms and conditions to use mobile deposit?
Mobile deposit is part of the mobile banking app. As a new customer, or when terms and conditions are updated, you will be prompted to accept the mobile app terms and conditions. In addition, your use of mobile deposit is your acceptance of the terms and conditions. If you do not agree to these terms, please do not use mobile deposit or notify us at 1.866.559.5037 or email@example.com to remove this option from your MetaBank mobile app.
What should I do if I receive an error message while using mobile deposit?
The following are some common error messages and the resolutions:
|Could not find endorsement on back of check. Make sure check is endorsed, and retake photo.||
Endorse the back of the check, and retake the photo, OR ensure the endorsement is on the left-hand side, and retake the photo.
|This check has already been submitted. We cannot accept it again.||
The deposited item is a duplicate and cannot be re-deposited.
|Cannot read account data on the bottom of the check. Please retake the photo. Ensure the camera is in focus and all four check corners are visible.||
Retake the photo – ensure the check is flat, the lighting is good and the image is clear.
|It appears you have submitted two images of front of check. Please retake both front and back photos.||
Retake both photos, and ensure you have an image of the front and the back of the check.
|Significant rotation or angle detected. Please retake the photo. Hold phone flat above check, and keep all four corners visible.||
Retake the photo – ensure the check is flat, the lighting is good and the image is clear.
|Poor lighting or contrast detected. Please retake the photo with good lighting.||
Retake the photo. It is suggested that the photo be taken on a dark background to show contrast between the image and background.
|Deposit Failed. The amount you entered did not match the amount detected. Please re-enter amount and retake photo.||
The amount you entered does not match the legal/numeric amount on the check. Reenter the amount, and retake the photo.
|You have exceeded the maximum amount allowed for a single deposit, or you have exceeded the maximum cumulative deposit amount allowed in one day.||
If there are multiple deposits, one could be held until the next business day. For one large item, the deposit must be taken to the bank or contact the bank for a temporary increase prior to the item being deposited.
|Unexpected error has occurred. Please retake both photos and try submitting again. For assistance please call…||
Retake photos, and try to submit again.
Is there a maximum dollar amount I can deposit with a single check or per day with mobile deposit?
There is a per-check/per-business-day limit of $5,000 for checks deposited through mobile deposit. Each check is considered a single deposit. There is no limit to the number of checks deposited daily.
How will I know if my deposit was successful?
You may check the status of your deposit through the mobile app under “Deposits” and “View Deposit History.” Once the check has been reviewed, the status will change from “Pending” to “Accepted.” In addition, you may set up an alert within online banking to send an email or text message when any deposit is made to your account. Click on the message banner that displays on the online banking homepage to access alerts. For assistance in setting up a new alert, select “Help” in the upper, right-hand corner of online banking.
When will my funds be available?
Deposits are subject to verification, and funds may not be available immediately. Once the deposit has been received, you will be able to view the pending transaction on your phone. Deposits received by 4:30 p.m., C.S.T., on any business day will post during overnight processing and are usually available in your account the next business day. Deposits received after 4:30 p.m., C.S.T., or on a non-business day (Saturday, Sunday or federal holiday) will be reviewed on the next business day, posted during overnight processing and available in two business days.
What types of checks can I deposit?
MetaBank will accept all types of checks except the following:
- Foreign items – each item for deposit must have an MICR line at the bottom of the check that includes a Federal Reserve routing number
- Altered/fraudulent checks
- Traveler’s or gift card checks
- Credit card checks
- Post-dated checks
- Stale-dated checks (checks older than six months)
- Third-party checks
- Image-replacement documents (check copies)
- Deposits made to a payee who is not on the account
- Checks not endorsed
MetaBank reserves the right to reject any deposit made through mobile deposit. You will be notified if your deposit has been rejected.
How do I sign/endorse the check?
Each check must be endorsed. It is recommended to sign/endorse the back of the check with the following:
- “For Mobile Deposit Only”
- Last four digits of the account number in which the check is being deposited
- Signature of name as it appears on the front of the check
What if mobile deposit won’t accept the picture of my check?
Please see “What should I do if I receive an error message while using mobile deposit?” If the issue cannot be resolved, the check can be presented at any MetaBank branch location.
What should I do with my check after mobile deposit is complete?
Confirm the deposit is listed as “Accepted” within the mobile app and that the funds have been deposited to your account before destroying the check. Other than your endorsement, do not write on your check until after the deposit has been posted to your account. For recordkeeping purposes, you may want to indicate “Deposited via Mobile,” along with the date of deposit. You should retain your paper check for 10 business days after the deposit. After this time, your paper check should be destroyed.
If a check I submit is returned for non-sufficient funds, can I redeposit it in mobile deposit?
If a check is returned, please do not re-deposit the check through mobile deposit. You will receive written communication by mail from the bank if a check is returned. A returned deposit item would need to be presented at a MetaBank location or cashed at the bank where the check was drawn.
How long will my check images be accessible in mobile banking?
Images will be available for 45 days from the date of deposit. Your mobile deposit history will be available for 90 days. After this time, you can access account history within online banking or on your statement.
What if I do not see the “Deposits” tab in my MetaBank mobile app?
Your account must be eligible and qualified to utilize mobile deposit. Please contact us at 1.866.559.5037, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Does MetaBank have the authority to terminate my ability to utilize mobile deposit?
MetaBank reserves the right to revoke services for any reason, including negative transaction history or for actions deemed fraudulent or abusive.
Who should I contact for technical support, questions or to un-enroll?
Simply contact us at 1.866.559.5037, or email us at email@example.com.
For more information, call 1.866.559.5037 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apple, the Apple logo, iPad, and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
Android and Google Play are trademarks of Google Inc.